Dante’s Mysteries captures rare footage that any magician regardless of age should study and learn. One of the most respected performers in magic, and a personal favorite of the late Bill Larsen (Magic Castle), Dante earned great success with both his peers and audiences world wide.
Dante (born Harry Jansen in Copenhagen, Denmark, 1883-1955) toured the world with his spectacular illusion show. Dante’s Mysteries was his first feature film, made in Sweden in 1930. The hourlong movie featured Dante’s magic surrounded with drama and comedy.
- Included on this DVD contains rate footage that has been digitally remastered including:
- Dante’s complete 1930 movie Dante’s Mysteries
- See Dante perform his Sawing, duck production, card effects, and other magic
- Full subtitles for all dialogue
- Musical scenes and comedy
- Appearances by Swedish stars Elisabeth Frisk and Sarah Leander.
Over an hour long!
- If you thought you knew Dante from his later appearances in films and television shows, this movie will be a revelation as you watch the charming, dapper 47-year-old Dante work his charisma, and you’ll see why audiences loved him and his magic.
Dante acted alongside some of Sweden’s biggest stars of the time but his magic was the star of this atmospheric black and white film. He performs his Sawing a Woman in Half, produces ducks and flowers, performs card manipulations and a card through handkerchief, passes a cane through a startled actor, and other magical moments, including a few wonderfully creative simulated-magic shots added by the director.
Our Dante’s Mysteries DVD brings you the complete movie in a digitally remastered version of this little-seen gem. The film is filled with visual moments and is easy to follow, but we’ve added full subtitles by actress Martina Lotun to translate the Swedish and Danish dialogue into English.
This DVD was created in collaboration with expert magic film historian William H. McIlhany.
Running Time Approximately: 57mins